Calcutta (In 2001, the official name of the city was changed to Kolkata) the capital city of the state of West Bengal was established by an agent of East India Company for a trade hub. He bought three villages along the east bank of the river Ganges named Sutanati, Gobindapur and Kalikata.from local landlords. Dalhousie Squarere-once the seat of administration of the British Government this whole area with Laldighi (a pond with historic significance )in its midst, is still Bengal’s power center.Renamed as BBD Bag(named after the freedom fighters who fought against the British-Binay,Badol and Dinesh who killed a high profile police officer inside the Writers Building),it is surrounded by some significant land mark historic buildings.
General post Office(GPO)- is one of the best known city landmarks.Built on the site of the old Fort William,it is fronted by rows of columns.It houses the headquarter of postal department of Bengal.
Writers Buildings built in 1776,it is still the power centre of Bengal government.
Governors House:Constructed by the Governor General Lord Wellesley,it is surrounded by gardens and vast grounds.
Victoria memorial;In the intersection of Red Road and Quins way,this gigantic structure was built on the memory of Queen Victoria by then Governor General Lord Curzon.Planned in 1901,it was opened to the public in 1921.Surrounded by gardens,the Victoria Memorial draws people from India and aboard.
New Market:In 1863,British Civilian officials appealed to Calcutta Corporation to set up a market for them.In 1871,a special committee was formed by the corporation to look after the matter.The committee recommended to set up a market.For this purpose,25 Bigha land in Chowranghee’s Lindsay street and Burtram Street worth Rs.2 lakh and 18 thousand was purchased.Burn and Standard Company started construction.In the year 1873,the market was completed.The amount spend to construct the building was Rs.6 lakh 65 thousand and 950.The market complex was officially inaugurated in 1st January,1874.The market was named after Sir Stuart Hog,the chairman of Calcutta Corporation.Dakshineswar kali Temple:Built by Rani Rashmoni,the landlady of the area near Bali Bridge at the banks of river Ganges in 1847.Here,Sri Ramkrishna,the spiritual Guru of Swami Vivakanda worshipped Mother Kali.Devotees from all over the world assemble here.
According to 2011 census,Calcutta city had a population of 4,486,679. Bengalis consist of the majority of Calcutta’s population, with Marwaris from Rajasthan and Bihari communities from Bihar forming a large portion of the minorities. Besides, there are some of Calcutta’s notable communities including Chinese, Tamils, Marwaris, Anglo-Indians, Armenians, Tibetans, Maharashtrians and Parsis. Major languages spoken in Calcutta are Bengali, Hindi, Urdu, English, Maithili, and Bhojpuri. The longitude is 88.20 East, the latitude is 22.82 Noth, Population density (er sq km) 1,029, total areas 34267 sq mi (88750 km).
Spread over an area of nearly 400 m, Kumartuli is flanked by workshops which double up as studios, a few homes, shops selling clothes and other items for decorating the images.works are going on to convert dark, dingy Kumartuli to a modern hub of artists. The name Kumartuli derived from the fact that kumor or potters live here . After the post-Independence partition of Bengal, many artisans from East Bengal settled down in Kumartuli.
Kalighat is located in the city of Calcutta on the banks of the river Hooghly (Bhagirathi). The name Calcutta is said to have been derived from the word Kalighat.Kaali is regarded as one of the principal deities of Bengal. Goddess Kaali is regarded as the destroyer or liberator and is depicted in a fearful form.The Kalighat temple attracts numerous devotees throughout the year.
On the other hand,Calcutta is in Columbia County, in the the Ohio Valley region.The small town was named after the city in India. The latitude of the town is 40.673 North . The longitude is -80.576 West. According to 2010 census, the population,was just 3,742, total areas 11.7 square miles, Population density 319 people per square mile.
The historical sites around Calcutta: Old Economy Village,the 19th-century community founded by the Harmony Society. It is in the
270 Sixteenth St.Ambridge, PA 15003.
19th-century utopian village, founded in 1824.
Nearby parks:Beaver Creek State Park, Guilford Lake State Park,Hillman State Park,Jefferson Lake State Park,Raccoon Creek State Park,Tomlinson Run State Park.
Nearest airport: Pittsburgh International. Nearest major city East Liverpool,Columbia county.
For more contact firstname.lastname@example.org
We only use creative commons pictures.